What kind of visa do I need to apply for?

A single-entry humanitarian visa.

Which institution you are going to visit?

Name of organization: The National Research University Higher School of Economics.
Address: 101000, Москва, ул. Мясницкая, д. 20/ 101000, Moscow, Ul. Myasnitskaya, 20.

Organization TIN: HSE Tax Identification Number is 7714030726.
Directive (telex) number: We do not use telex numbers now. We have our primary phone number: (342) 205-52-50 and fax number: (342) 205-52-12.
Invitation number: This is usually the identification document number indicated in the invitation you receive from HSE or RF Migration Service obtained by HSE for you. The field will allow you to enter the RF Migration Service number only.

Should I include Moscow as part of my itinerary? I will have to change planes there but I don't think I will ever leave the airport.

Yes, please include Moscow as part of your itinerary.

Do you have a medical insurance policy valid in Russia?

Most Russian consular departments will require you have health insurance covering the dates of your proposed trip and valid in Russia. If you already have travel health insurance, you will need to confirm that it covers the Russian Federation. Also you can get a medical insurance policy at the consulate office.

Do you have some suggestions regarding accommodations?

You might want to check out what a nearby hotel offers – the Zhemchuzhina Hotel. The hotel address: 614070, Perm, 65a Boulvar Gagarina.

For other options, you can visit booking.com/city/ru/perm.